At LawyerBrain, we specialize in the “people” side of law firm management. The heart of that practice is the scientific assessment, selection and development of talent.
We continually scan the professional literature in the fields of psychology, management science, neuroscience, organization development, and related fields. We then integrate these insights with our vast experience and knowledge of the legal profession to provide you with clear, simple and actionable advice rooted in science to help you find, develop and motivate the best talent for your firm.
Our most frequently requested services in this area include:
- The use of testing to help select the right candidate
- Advice in transitioning from associate “lockstep” systems to a “levels” system (i.e., promotion based on mastery of critical competencies instead of on having passed another year at the firm)
- Advice and guidance in improving motivation or developing high levels of engagement among your lawyers (including associate retention programs)
- Design and implementation of multi-rater feedback systems (upward evaluations, peer review surveys, and 360-degree feedback)
- Guidance about how to motivate, engage and otherwise treat Millennials
- Developing competency models
We deliver these services in several ways, including . . .
- Consultation to management: We provide private guidance to top firm leaders about best practices
- Training programs: We design and deliver workshops and seminars custom-tailored to your firm’s needs
- Assessment: We test hundreds of lawyers every year, using over a dozen different assessment tools, including the Caliper Profile, the Hogan Assessment, the MBTI, and the Gallup StrengthsFinder. (Dr. Larry Richard, our founder and principal consultant, is a Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach. Dr. Richard is also certified in all of the other tools.)
Some highlights of our Talent Management services: